That is the question. I actually went several years with full beard. Since then, I've tried repeatedly to grow it back but can never quite get over the hump. This post is my way of motivating myself to stick with it, at least until Christmas so I can pretend to be Santa.
Reasons To Beard
- It's cold outside, and beards are warm.
- Not shaving frees up 5 minutes each day, or 30 hours a year.
- Shaving is unnatural. If it was supposed to be shaved, it wouldn't keep growing back.
- Bearded, I will be helping my home town remain the beardiest city in America
- Many of my intellectual, artistic, and spiritual heroes throughout history were non-shavers (see my Beard Gallery below).
- My 11-year old daughter wants to use my giant beard for art.
- My beard is coming in white. This enhances my credibility in academia.
Reasons Not To Beard
- Beards are itchy (especially during this transition from Non-Bearded to Bearded. Each time I shave it's in an itch-crazed frenzy, desperate for relief).
- Beards attract food.
- My beard is coming in white. This makes me look old.
Gallery of Bearded Heroes
Henry David Thoreau
Leonardo Da Vinci
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow